These Festive Brussels Sprouts are packed with some of the most delicious holiday flavours. Chestnuts, ham, prosciutto, cranberries, rosemary, and nutmeg make these spouts a perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish.Jump to Recipe
Hello everyone – happy Monday! I hope you enjoyed your weekend, and you’re ready to tackle new week.
Today I would like to share with you these Festive Brussels Sprout. And with American Thanksgiving around the corner, I hope you consider making this side dish. But since this dish is filling, you can totally enjoy it as the main course for your lunch or dinner.
Festive Brussels Sprouts
Since the brussels sprouts are shredded here, the dish is a breeze to make. It combines many festive flavours such as chestnuts, prosciutto, fresh and dried cranberries, rosemary, and nutmeg. I also added some cooked lean ham simply because we had some, but you can skip it if you want to make it lighter. Cranberries and pomegranate arils add the final touch to that festive look.
It is a large dish that will serve at least 8 as a side dish (or at least 4 as the main course). So if you don’t need so much, you can easily cut the recipe in half.
I hope you like these Festive Brussels Sprouts, and you will give it a try. If you make it, let me know in this post or send me an Instagram message or share you photos adding the hashtag #havocinthekitchen.
Festive Brussels Sprouts
These Festive Brussels Sprouts are packed with some of the most delicious holiday flavours. Chestnuts, ham, prosciutto, cranberries, rosemary, and nutmeg make these spouts a perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish.
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
about 2 lb. Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed then shredded or halved
150-200 gr. cooked lean ham, cubed
150-200 gr. cooked and peeled chestnuts (I used vacuum-packed)
3-4 prosciutto slices (about 50 gr.), thinly sliced
1 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup fresh (or frozen) cranberries
1-2 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 whole nutmeg, freshly grated
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/8 tsp. chipotle powder
salt, optional, if needed
about 2/3 cup of water (or vegetable stock)
1/4 cup pomegranate arils, for serving (optional)
- Into a large pan add the olive oil and cook the onions over low-medium heat, 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and cook, occasionally stirring, 5-7 minutes until start to brown.
- Add the prosciutto, ham (if using), chestnuts, dried cranberries, rosemary, and spices. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add water (or you can use stock) in 2-3 settings (waiting until the previously added liquid has mostly evaporated) and cook over high medium for about 8 minutes or until the sprouts are almost soft.
- Stir in the maple syrup and fresh (or frozen) cranberries. Cook 1 minute and off the heat. Let it cool, covered, for 5-10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with the pomegranate arils. Enjoy!
Hi – I’m Ben, a blogger, recipe developer, and food photographer. I’m glad you’re here! I hope you will enjoy hundreds of delicious recipes and a pinch of havoc in the kitchen.