This delicious Creamy Salmon Soup is irresistibly silky, smooth, and rich recipe with both fresh and smoked salmon. It will definitely warm your soul on a cold winter day.Jump to Recipe
I Am Back!
Hello, everyone! This is happening. It’s January, 18th, and I am posting my first recipe of 2021. I had originally planned to have one week off after the holidays, but I ended up having almost three weeks. Did you miss me? (Be careful here not to be rude lol.)
Anyway, it’s always hard to go back to blogging after the holiday season. Why?
a. After all this festivity, going back to simple food options is not easy. We always enjoy lots of light and delicious salads and soup in January; however, they simply look boring for a while. Indeed they are not boring at all – it is a psychological thing when you need to give your mind some time to adjust.
b. You might want to continue sharing all those decadent desserts and cookies, but you simply feel obligated taking a break for a while.
c. After all these festive holiday images with candles and sparklers, it’s so challenging to start taking (relatively) minimalistic photos again.
That being said, luckily I have a backlog of unpublished recipes. Honestly, over the last week or so I’ve developed quite a few new recipes. Yet I am using the opportunity to publish a few older recipes.
Creamy Salmon Soup
This Creamy Salmon Soup is fabulously rich and delicious. It is not the healthiest version as it features cream and cream cheese. In my excuse: a) I made this soup back in October, b) We’ve been eating light meals for 3 weeks. Besides, cold and dark January is a perfect month to eat some comfort soup.
If you are looking to make this Creamy Salmon Soup lighter, you can definitely substitute low-fat milk for cream and cream cheese. While both fresh and cold-smoked salmon work beautifully together, you can only use fresh salmon or trout. With some refreshing dill and sweet and aromatic pink peppercorns, that is so good.
At least Daisy approves :)
I hope you like this easy recipe, and you will give it a try soon. And I will be back with some new tasty recipes very soon.
Creamy Salmon SoupCourse: SoupsDifficulty: Easy
This delicious Creamy Salmon Soup is irresistibly silky, smooth, and rich recipe with both fresh and smoked salmon. It will definitely warm your soul on a cold winter day.
1 large white onion, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
~ 1 lb. salmon or trout filet
~ 200 gr. cold-smoked salmon, torn into pieces
salt, to taste
1/2 tsp. pink peppercorn, crushed and divided
1/4 tsp. white pepper and smoked paprika, each
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
1 cup 5-10% cream
1/3 cup cream cheese
dill or extra thyme, for garnish
- Melt the olive oil and butter in a deep soup pan and cook the onions and garlic, 5 minutes, over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, and spices and cook 5-7 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add 6 cups of water, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Reserve some smoked salmon for garnish. Add the smoked salmon and salmon (trout) filets, broken into pieces, cook 3 to 5 minutes until the salmon is cooked through (It flakes easily.)
- Add the cream and cream cheese and puree the soup until the desired consistency. You might want to add some more water to thin it up. Also, try and adjust the seasonings, especially the salt.
- Return to the heat and warm through for a couple of minutes. Serve with extra thyme and dill and pink peppercorns. Enjoy!
- To make this recipe much lighter, substitute low-fat milk for the cream and cream cheese.