Easter Nest Baked Donuts with a distinctive coconut and lemon flavours and mini chocolate eggs, are easy and fun to make. Perfect for this Easter long weekend.Jump to Recipe
Hello everyone! I hope you’re doing well, and weather does not disappoint you. We’ve had 3 wonderful spring days, but those forecast guys (What a stressful profession – people always blame them, right?) are predicting it’s going to be over. Tomorrow and on Friday we’re expecting very storing rains followed by the mixed precipitation (Snow and rain). Basically, we expect this for the entire long weekend, and then throughout the business week. That’s the perfect weather to celebrate Easter, right?
Easter Nest Baked Donuts
On the positive note, I am sharing with you these lovely Easter Nest Baked Donuts. Who is sick of all this Easter candy and mini chocolate eggs? Honestly, I am! As I mentioned in my previous posts, I’ve been buying a lot of the candy for my recipe development, but I’ve only ended up using them in 4 recipes. So, I am absolutely done! Promise. Okay, maybe the very last package today when doing groceries.
In fact, originally I was not considering to post this recipe. However, I liked the styling and overall photo mood, so I decided why not? Besides, they’re absolutely delicious!
While the recipe is simple (The batter is the same as for my other donut ideas on this blog), the frosting is pretty lovely. The combination of toasted coconut and lemon – so luscious and refreshing! I used unsweetened coconut, so they are not overly sweet, either. Feel free to use sweetened coconut. Certainly these mini eggs have mostly decorative purpose, so you can skip this part. That won’t be Easter Nest Baked Donuts, though!
More Easter Recipes
If you’re looking for some other Easter ideas, please check my recent posts:
Looking for something savoury? Absolutely! Easter Green Salad won’t disappoint you.
All right, I am going to wrap it up for today. I hope you have a lovely and peaceful Easter weekend filled with mini chocolate eggs. Or better, just make these tasty donuts! You can also check my Instagram as I will be posting more Easter photos of Daisy!
Easter Nest Baked DonutsCourse: Dessert
These Easter Nest Baked Donuts with a distinctive coconut and lemon flavours and mini chocolate eggs, are easy and fun to make.
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
a tiny pinch of baking soda
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons light brown (golden) sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted + some additional butter (or cooking oil spray) to grease
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
about 1 and 1/2 cups of unsweetened coconut
about 1 cup or more of powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp. lemon juice
~ 1/2 cup or more of mini chocolate eggs
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F (215 degrees C). Butter holes of donut tins and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry (first five) ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer or just a whisk, blend together the melted butter, sugar, oil, vanilla extract, for one minute. Add the milk. Stir the wet mixture in the dry ingredients and mix just to combine (don’t overmix!)
- Spoon the batter into donut wells, filling them about 1/4 inch from the rim. Bake in the preheated oven 7-8 minutes.
- Let the donuts cool in the tin for a couple of minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- While the donuts are baking and cooking, toast the coconut onto a dry pan, over medium low heat, tossing frequently. for about 5 minutes or desired colour. Don’t make it too brown, though. Roughly divide into two parts and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, half of the coconut, and lemon juice until well-combined. It should be spreadable but not too runny. You might need to adjust the consistency (More coconut or sugar if too thin or a bit more of lemon juice (water or milk) if too thick)
- Glaze the donuts. Since the glaze is pretty thick, dense, and chunky, it’s easier to spread the glaze with a knife rather that dipping them. Be careful not to apply to much pressure as the donuts are quite delicate. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut. In the nest “hole” place few mini eggs, starting with one of bigger size so it will block it from the other side.
- Let them set for at least 30 minutes and enjoy!