This refreshing, light but satisfying Watermelon Mozzarella Mojito Salad is a great way to enjoy the watermelon season. And yes, there’s a “Mojito” dressing!
Well, hello September and fall. Let’s get it straight, though. We know that there are the meteorological versus astronomical seasons. While most of the people consider September 1st the first day of autumn (Hence, December 1st, March 1st, and June 1st being the start of the other seasons), it’s not the fall technically yet. The astronomical seasons use the equinoxes to count a change of seasons. So, in the Northern Hemisphere the spring equinox occurs around March 21st while the autumn equinox falls on or around September 21st (Clearly, the seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere).
Sorry for this little boring introduction.
The bottom line is that summer is still with us for a while. The meteorological calendar is correct: it doesn’t feel the way it was just a couple of weeks ago (And I do like it!) The air smells different. Fall is in the air. Besides, most of the seasonal summer produce has gone. Nowadays, you can get cherries and peaches almost all year round (If you are willing to pay a lot), but that’s not the same. The good news is that watermelons are staying with us for a while too! I do love them, and I live on them until at least the end of September or even October – until the price goes up, and they start to lose their crispiness (aren’t watermelons with the mushy flesh the worst?) Yes, I will miss melons.
That’s another reason I don’t start posting apple and pumpkin recipes until the end of September – we have so many good summer things to embrace yet. But don’t you worry. I am brainstorming my fall ideas, and I have already got quite an impressive list of autumn ideas which I am planning to try.
Just be patient, please. The time for corn and melons hasn’t gone yet.
Here we go. Please enjoy this Watermelon Mozzarella Mojito Salad. While I am still enjoying melons a lot, that’s the last idea this summer. Previously I posted this Watermelon Peach Halloumi Salad and this Watermelon Feta Pumpkin Seeds Salad. I was inspired by a watermelon Caprese salad, but I wanted to incorporate more fresh elements in it…like mint…and lime…and rum? That’s a “Mojito” dressing! Why not indeed. Refreshing and super delicious, this Watermelon Mozzarella Mojito Salad deserved to be shared with you.
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach or other kind of salad
- 3 cups of watermelon chunks
- 100-125 gr fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews, roughly chopped (substitute for pistachios)
- few mint leaves, preferably chocolate mint, for garnish
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, preferably chocolate or orange mint
- 1 tbsp. white rum
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp fine sugar / powdered sugar or more, to taste
- To make the dressing, muddle the mint with lime juice and sugar/powdered sugar. Stir in the rum. Try and add more lime or sugar if needed.
- Divide the spinach, watermelon, and mozzarella between plates. Sprinkle with the cashews and mint leaves. Drizzle with the Mojito dressing before serving.