This Tomato Soup with Cheese Croutons is hearty and packed with some amazing flavours like rosemary and prosciutto, perfect for beautiful (or nasty) winter weather.
Hello everyone! Weather alert: it’s going to be nasty today and tomorrow across all the Maritime provinces. The snow followed by the freezing rain. Nothing to be too much excited. Well, I don’t mind any kind of weather – I just don’t like when it’s slippery. And it is already even though the freezing rain is only expected by the night. But that’s all right. February, I guess.
But it’s perfect time to enjoy something hot, soul-warming, and tasty. Like a bowl of this Tomato Soup with Cheese Croutons! The soup itself is, of course, delicious but rather usual. The best part of this recipe is those cheese croutons. Gosh, they’re addictive! In fact, they’re a perfect snacking material even without any soup.
Basically, these croutons are a simplified version of grilled cheese. I used rye bread for the croutons, but feel free to switch to whatever you like. Indeed, the dark rye bread while being tasty, might not look extremely appetizing. Next, there’s an addition of smoky prosciutto and aromatic rosemary. Lastly, there’s a hefty amount of cheese (You can use smoked cheese for even more flavour!) that melts, infuses the bread cubes all the way through, and gets crispy from outside. The result? Irresistible.
So please make this Tomato Soup with Cheese Crouton, and any weather situations would be more enjoyable. And my advice: double or triple the croutons. You won’t regret this I promise!
Stay warm and safe.
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 red onions, chopped
- 3-5 garlic cloves, roughly minced
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of chilly flakes
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 2-3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 2 cans x 800 gr tomato (whole or crushed, plain or with herbs)
- 100 gr. prosciutto, sliced in small pieces
- 3 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups cubed dark rye bread (or any of your choice)
- 1 cup or more of grated cheese or the combination of chesses (Cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan are some good options)
- In a large pan melt the butter withy olive oil, over medium heat. Cook the onions, garlic with a pinch of salt and chilly flakes, about 10 minutes.
- Add the balsamic, rosemary, smoked paprika, and sugar (if using). Cook for about 5 minutes,
- Add the tomatoes (with all the juices) and about 1 cup of water. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Off heat and let it cook a little until easy to handle.
- Using a regular or immersion blender, pure. The soup won’t be too thick, but you still might want to add some water.
- For the croutons, in a pan cook the prosciutto and rosemary with 1 tbsp. of olive oil, 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the bread cubes into the same pan and toast for about 10 minutes over low medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Return the prosciutto. Increase the heat. Sprinkle the cheese over the crouton and let it melt and get crispy, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
- Serve the soup with the croutons.