This Sticky Dulce de Leche Popcorn is a rich, buttery, and delicious snack or dessert. You won’t find this at the cinema!
Hello, everyone! First of all, thank you all for your congratulations on my birthday – I am touched. Also, thanks to all your sweet words about our pets. I have passed along all your comments, and they agreed that they’re super cute :) I also should apologize for almost a two-week break since my last post. I had planned a little break from blogging, but I didn’t expect it would take that long! Anyway, finally, I am here with this awesome Sticky Dulce de Leche Popcorn.
Are you on the sweet or salty&savoury side when it comes to popcorn? (If you like it at all, of course!)
Most of the time, I prefer my popcorn plain and just slightly salty. Occasionally, I love a savoury version when I add some dried herbs, smoked paprika, and so on. I cannot say I often crave for sweet popcorn, but I don’t mind some caramel popcorn, every now and then. When all this quarantine situation started, I decided I would be developing a dulce de leche dessert every weekend, So far, I have shared with you the recipes for these Dulce de Leche Rice Treats,
Dulce de Leche Madeleines, and this (must try!) Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole. There are still a few other ideas to share, and today it’s the time to enjoy this Sticky Dulce de Leche Popcorn.
I must warn you: it;’s really sticky! Some kleenex will be needed (you might also consider a help of spoon) – not really a cinema version. But it’s totally perfect for your home movie night! If you have that wonderful flaky salt (sometimes you can find smoked), please do sprinkle – you won’t regret it! If you fancy something extra, melt some dark (70% or about) chocolate and drizzle over the popcorn.
All right, that’s enough for today. See you next week, my friends!
- 5-6 cups of freshly popped popcorn (5 cups for stickier version, 6 – for drier)
- 100 gr. butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- a good pinch of salt
- 2/3 to 1 cup dulce de leche
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat, add the sugar and salt and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Decrease the heat (to low medium). Add the dulce de leche and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes, until sticky and thickened.
- Combine with popcorn and mix to coat.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking tray in a thin layer. If desired, sprinkle with flaked salt or drizzle with melted dark chocolate.
- Let it cool and set, for about an hour.