I guess most of you will answer “yes”.
What could be better than a stack of warm and fluffy pancakes for your Sunday breakfast (or better late brunch?). Well, maybe some lace crepes.
Just imagine this picture: pancakes or crepes and a few lovely toppings of your choice. What would you choose? Fruit preserves or maybe a handful of fresh berries? Or what about lemon and sugar? Or would you love to opt something simple and hearty like butter and honey? Or let’s have “dolce vita” and top them with dulce de leche – that would be so dulcet!:) Would you pick a common North American combo of bacon and maple syrup finally?
Does that sound mouthwatering to you?
That is not the healthiest option to start you day off, but your Sunday meal is not supposed to be totally healthy, right? What’s the point?
However, you can make a stack of delicious pancakes which could be considered as quite a healthy alternative – spinach pancakes.
They are packed with spinach (surprisingly!), taste great, and so green:) Plus, served with Greek yogurt and feta cheese topping, they are a good source of protein. As about the texture, they are moist and resemble zucchini fritters.
They are really the delish way to start your Sunday off!
- 3 cups (150 gr.) baby spinach
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- some oil, for greasing
- 1 - 1,5 cups greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- 1/3 cup feta, crumbled + additional for serving
- black pepper, optional
- In a processor mix the spinach and milk and process until the smooth consistency (just like a green smoothie!)
- Add the egg and oil and pulse 10 seconds to combine.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Heat a large pan or skillet. I usually don't grease a pan with butter/oil while making pancakes, but in this case I recommend doing that.
- Spoon out about one tablespoon of batter onto the pan. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cook at medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, then flip them and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve warm with the sauce and sprinkled with some additional feta.
- To make the sauce, just combine the yogurt and 1/3 cup feta. Season with some black pepper if desired.
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]