This rich, creamy, and delicious Spiced Pumpkin Millet Porridge is perfect breakfast or brunch for a crisp autumn morning.
This post was originally published in October 2017. I have taken and updated the photos while the blog post and recipe remain unchanged.
There’s a thing, my friends.
I’m getting older. Well, I’m not talking about a technical thing when we all get older every year.
I’m not talking about the actual age either. I know I turned 30 q
uite a few years ago… just a few years ago…recently. Indeed, I often don’t even remember I’m 3… Every now and then, when I need to provide my age, I hesitate for a second choosing between 3… and 3… Recently, while doing some paper stuff, I found out that instead of 3…I put 3… Well, I’m very bad at numbers, so I need a little time to get used to my new age every year (Is it okay that last change took place in May when I turned 3…? I told you, I need some time!)
Anyway, I’m talking about a different thing. You might know that with aging a lot of (if not most) people are getting less and less able to tolerate cold temperatures.
Do you need any proof? Well, do you remember yourself being a teenager? There’s a little chance you could easily go outside without having a hat and gloves in winter and feel perfectly fine.
Do you need more proof? Be observant! Find a person 10 or 20 years older than you, and they will be likely wearing some extra layers.
That doesn’t happen 100% since people can deal with cold temperatures differently thanks to their physiology.
Spiced Pumpkin Millet Porridge
Personally, I realized this last fall. The temperature reached around 8 degrees above zero one morning. I was walking, dreaming of a pair of gloves and a scarf, reminiscing about the beautiful times when I would be outside when it was 20-25 below zero not wearing a hat.
Oh well, this is life. What can we do, right?
There’s one thing we can do, though. We can have hearty and warm breakfasts during the cold seasons!
What about this delicious Spiced Pumpkin Millet Porridge? Recently I shared another similar recipe – Spiced Apple Millet Porridge. There’s another autumnal flavor!
Pumpkin puree makes this millet porridge utterly silky and luscious while dried apricots and nuts add some extra texture and sweetness. I added a little of honey as well, so we can say this Spiced Pumpkin Millet Porridge is naturally sweetened. Certainly, there’s a generous pinch of pumpkin pie spices and cardamom cause this is a must in fall, right?
So, if you like millet, you should probably make Spiced Pumpkin Millet Porridge this fall. I’m positive you’ll enjoy it. Also, it will make another cold morning a little bit more bearable:)
- 2/3 cup millet
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-3 - 1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced, devided
- 1/3 cup pecans, roasted, divided
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- a little drizzle of honey, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place the millet in a pot and toast over medium heat until started to golden, for about 2 minutes, tossing.
- Add the milk and water (Be careful! It might cause splashes) and bring it to a boil.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15-17 minutes. If the liquid has almost fully absorbed before this time, add a bit more of milk or water.
- Once about a half of the time (out 15-17 minutes) have passed, add 1/2 of apricots and spiced. Mix and keep cooking until ready.
- Off heat. Add half of pecans, 1 tbsp. butter cover, and honey if using, and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve topped with the remaining apricots and pecans and sprinkled with extra spices if desired.