This Spiced Apple Honey Millet Porridge will lighten up a gloomy rainy weather you might face this fall.
This post was originally published in October 2017. I have taken and uploaded new photos while the recipe and the blog post remain unchanged.
First of all, let me please congratulate the Canadian readers on Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving, my friends! What? Did you expect a long tirade? Not with me, sorry. I feel awkward every time I’m either congratulating or wishing something good to people. So I prefer to keep it short and classy.
Let’s talk about breakfast for a few minutes now. I hope we’re all agreed on the fact that breakfast is one of the most important meals of a day (Even though ice cream isn’t normally involved. Which is strange. It should be).
My breakfast habits aren’t constant, and I often change/adjust them due to my schedule. For instance, last spring I basically stopped to eat at home (I can eat a little piece of something or a fruit if I starve) because most of the days I either walk to my work or go to the gym or, most frequently, combine both things, and I prefer to do this on an empty stomach.
Obviously, my breakfast after active mornings should be high in proteins (And even has some carbs).
There’s another thing about my habits. I don’t mind earing one thing for many days in a row.
Let’s say I can easily eat a bowl of greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey and bran for 3 weeks in a row. Then I feel I need to change the things and have ricotta with honey for a while. Alternatively, I may have a toast with cheese.
Spiced Apple Honey Millet Porridge
I don’t mind this regime, but certainly, I need something different once in a while (Btw, you can share some ideas. The only one thing is it shouldn’t be too heavy/bulky cause I carry a bag and backpack for over an hour. Well, the second thing is that it should be cooked at home and just warmed up at work. Also, the smell shouldn’t attract some nice wild animals haha).
Since the mornings are quite chilly now, I’m thinking more and more about a cozy comfort breakfast. Like this Spiced Apple Honey Millet Porridge.
One Sunday I was making this delicious porridge, and I just tripled the amount recommended in the recipe. As a result, I was enjoying a scrumptious breakfast for 4 days. I mean the life is obviously better after this, isn’t it?
As I said, this is an utterly cozy and comfort dish. Apples, butter, honey, cinnamon, cardamon…well, do I need to continue? It’s a highly versatile recipe too. You can basically grab any fruit and spices you like or incorporate some nuts. Besides, you can substitute honey for maple syrup. Either way, you’ll get a delicious creamy porridge which is perfect for fall.
- 2/3 cup millet
- 1,5 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2-3 tbsp. honey
- 1 large apple (1 cup, cubed)
- cinnamon and cardamom, to taste
- In a skillet melt 2 tbsp. butter with honey. Add the apples and saute for 2-3 minutes until the apples are a little soft but not mushy. Stir in the cinnamon and cardamom.
- In a meanwhile, place the millet in a pot and toast over medium heat until started to golden, for about 2 minutes, tossing.
- Add the milk and water (Be careful! It might cause splashes) and bring it to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15-17 minutes. If the liquid has almost fully absorbed before this time, add a bit more of milk or water.
- Off heat. Add 1 tbsp. butter cover and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Fluff the porridge with a fork and serve with the apple sauce.