Delicious, bright, and full of proteins, this Smoked Salmon Shrimp Mandarin Salad will make you happier this cold dark January.
Indeed, January is quite a depressing month. First of all, the winter holiday season is over, and it might be a little rough to get back to normal life (Personally, I feel a little sad when it’s time to take a Christmas tree and decorations down. There’s a secret. Although we put all the decorations in the garage a week ago, I am still having some Christmas lights in my bedroom to illuminate this miserable month. I might keep them for a while. Like forever.)
Secondly, weather and darkness outside don’t make it feel better (You may say that it’s cold and dark in December as well. That’s right. There’s only one huge difference. Christmas (Especially anticipation of it) makes it better and right. I would say some snow is a must around Christmas. But what makes me love this kind of weather in January? Right, nothing! As the matter of fact, I do believe, winter should be limited to a shorter period. It would be nice to get spring on January 3rd or 4th.
Also, as I mentioned in my last post, for many people the festive season results in gaining a few desirable pounds (Sad face. I should give myself a New year’s resolution not to eat all those cookies and drink all that eggnog next time. Well, this resolution never worked…but maybe next time.)
But if we’re talking about the healthier diet, you don’t need to worry about this Smoked Salmon Shrimp Mandarin Salad, nice people.
Not only is this salad amazingly scrumptious, it’s also quite light and healthy. It’s packed with healthy fats (thanks to avocado and salmon), proteins (thanks to salmon and shrimp), and vitamins (Thanks to seasonal mandarins).
This Smoked Salmon Shrimp Mandarin Salad doesn’t need any complicated dressing thanks to succulent mandarines. I just slightly drizzled it with orange juice and avocado oil (Another great ingredient), and the result was phenomenal.
I made this Smoked Salmon Shrimp Mandarin Salad on December 30 because the meals at the end of the year should be a little luxurious (Well, we need to indulge yourself every once in a while, but the end of the year is the very special time).
Well, I’m thinking…why not now, eh? We all already deserved a little healthy indulgence by now.
So make this Smoked Salmon Shrimp Mandarin Salad. Make this month brighter!
- about 20 medium/large shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup of mandarin juice (3-4 medium mandarins)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3-4 garlic gloves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon pink peppercorn, crushed
- a good pinch of pink salt (or any other)
- 2-3 thyme sprigs
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 150 gr. smoked salmon
- 3-4 mandarins, segmented and peeled
- juice of 1 mandarin
- 1-2 teaspoon avocado (or olive oil) oil
- Place the shrimp, olive oil, mandarin and lemon juices, garlic, seasonings, and thyme in the container and shake well to cover the shrimp. Close and leave for an hour or longer shaking the container a couple of times.
- Drain the shrimp. In a pan heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat and cook the shrimp just 1-2 minutes turning once. Remove from heat.
- In a meanwhile, combine the arugula, smoked salmon, mandarins, and avocado. Drizzle with a little of avocado oil and mandarin juice.
- Divide the salad between serving plates and place the shrimp. Serve at once.*
* Some soft cheese (like goat cheese) would be a great addition.