This Smoked Oyster Pasta Salad with prosciutto and sun-dried tomatoes is another way to enjoy a good pasta salad.
Hello, my friends. Can you believe it’s June already? The unofficial summer start has already begun. It is only 3 weeks till official summer. However, the current situation in our area looks like our summer will arrive in 12 months ha-ha. Well, I am not losing my optimism. As a matter of fact, I’ve brought you a perfect summer dish, this Smoked Oyster Pasta Salad.
I must admit I am a huge fan of a good pasta salad. I must also admit I don’t like those salads where ingredients are drowned in a mayo dressing. I am not totally against a mayo dressing, but it should be just a little hint. Personally, I almost never use a heavy dressing and instead I just generously drizzle a pasta salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. In most situations, that’s all you need!
In this recipe, I used oil from smoked oysters which has a lot of flavours. Creamy avocado, aromatic and chewy sun-dried tomatoes, salty prosciutto, robust arugula, and black olives give this salad a strong profile of textures and flavours.
I wouldn’t probably recommend making it ahead as the smoky flavours could become way too overpowering. Probably, it is not a great idea to take it for a picnic either due to the same reason (Plus heat). However, if you make this Smoked Oyster Pasta Salad and enjoy it right away for your summer meal in your backyard – I am very positive it won’t disappoint you.
And trust me: no mayo dressing is needed.
Cheers for now.
- 1 cup dried pasta (small size like farfalle)
- 2 (80 gr each) smoked oysters (or mussels), mostly drained
- 1 – 1,.5 cups arugula
- 4 tbsp. sun-drained tomatoes, well drained
- 1 large avocado, peel and cubed
- 1/2 cup olives, halved
- 2-4 slices of prosciutto (about 40-50 gr.)
- a pinch of black pepper
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain.
- Remove the excess oil from the smoked oysters (mussels) but not completely.
- Slice the prosciutto finely and cook in a pan (without oil) for 2-3 minutes, until crisp.
- Combine the pasta, oysters, tomatoes, avocado, and olives. Season with a little of pepper. You can serve immediately or chill for 20-30 minutes to allow flavours to develop and mingle.
- Just before serving stir in the arugula and sprinkle with the prosciutto.