These Smoked Cheddar Pistachio Cranberry Biscuits topped with an extra cheese and baked until golden are delightful sweet&savoury treats that would be a great addition to your celebration.
Smoked Cheddar Pistachio Cranberry Biscuits
Hello, hello, nice people. It’s December 13th today, but at least it’s not Friday (I don’t mind Friday 13th though as I am not a superstitious person. After all, Friday is Friday, and how can it be bad?)
Anyway, I have another sweet&savoury recipe today, and I am positive that you’re going to love it. Is anyone interested in some Smoked Cheddar Pistachio Cranberry Biscuits? And even though it’s not a dessert, I am going to keep it sweet and short today again. It is less than 10 days left until Christmas, and I want to squeeze so many festive recipes for this blog. I hope you’re absolutely fine with that, and I do believe some of you have the similar issue these days. And as a reward, I solemnly promise to bring you a lot of delicious things shortly including cookies, chocolates, more appetizers, and even tea. Oh, I am also updating photos of some old recipes.
How can anyone do all these things within such a limited time? I have no idea, but I’ll do my best! Besides, the holiday season is not over after Christmas. And if I fail, we have plenty of time in January, too : )
Let’s back to these Smoked Cheddar Pistachio Cranberry Biscuits. First of all, the name speaks for itself. To make it even more delicious, I added fresh rosemary and tangerine, both zest and juice. And as it wasn’t enough, I topped the biscuits with goat cheese, brie, and smoked cheddar. Interestingly that while Andrey constantly claims he doesn’t like brie, he enjoyed even those biscuits topped with brie a lot. He now specifies that he is fine (Most of the times) with baked brie. Go figure!
And do I need to mention that the combination of cranberries and pistachios is so festive and delicious? Certainly, pistachios are not the cheapest nuts in the world, but this is the Christmas season – time to splurge a little. Trust me, you and your family will like them!
- 1 cup grated smoked cheddar
- 1 cup soften butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tbsp. grated tangerine (clementine or mandarin) zest
- 1-2 tbsp. (clementine or mandarin) tangerine juice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- a good pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- some extra cheddar, goat cheese, and brie, for topping
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, butter, juice, zest, and egg until combined.
- Stir in the flour (add 1 cup at once reserving the remaining), baking powder, rosemary, and spices. Mix until all ingredients incorporated adding more flour if necessary.
- Stir in the pistachios (Reserve 2-3 tbsp.) and cranberries. You will get soft dough. Cover the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 40-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Cover baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll the dough out (about 0,7-1 cm) and cut cookies with a cookie cutter. Place the cookies onto the sheets, place a bit of cheddar, crumbled goat cheese or a slice of brie, sprinkle with the remaining pistachios, and bake for about 8-12 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let completely cool.