This Shrimp Pasta Salad loaded with crunchy and juicy vegetables, piquant kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes, and salty feta is a delicious way to enjoy your summer meal including BBQ and picnics.
Hello, everyone! Believe it or not, it’s July already. It’s hard to believe that we’ll be enjoying apples and pumpkins once again soon. Ha-ha sorry for my specific sense of humour. The summer season has not really started yet, and we’re about to embrace all these beautiful products and foods.
That’s the season of pasta and potato salads, too. Yahoo! If you know my culinary style, you probably noticed that my pasta salads are not always traditional recipes suitable for your BBQ and potlucks. I love those salads which are elegant and preferably consumed within an hour or so. That’s not the same case today. You can make this Shrimp Pasta Salad ahead, and it will only be better.
Basically, I took the idea of the Greek salad and added cooked pasta and shrimp. It is a perfect combination of textures with the pronounced flavour profile:
- Pasta cooked al dente;
- Marinated and cooked shrimp; soft and aromatic;
- Juicy cherry tomatoes;
- Crunchy cucumbers;
- Robust arugula;
- Chewy sun-dried tomatoes;
- Piquant Kalamata olives;
- Salty feta
- Simple yet aromatic dressing made of olive oil and balsamic vinegar;
- Herbs; basil is perfect, but you can use any available
I recommend making this salad ahead and let it stay refrigerated for at least an hour to bring up all the flavours; just don’t stir in arugula until ready to serve. If you are going to enjoy this dish at home, you have two options. You can chill the whole salad (all the ingredients) or you can serve the chilled salad with freshly cooked warm shrimp. Personally, we enjoyed the second option, and we were absolutely pleased.
So the outdoor summer activity situation is happening right now for many of you, please make and enjoy this Shrimp Pasta Salad. It won’t disappoint you.
- About 20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian herbs
- pinch of salt and pepper, each
- 1 cup cooked pasta (about 1/2 cup dried pasta)
- 1/4 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced
- 1 cup spinach / arugula
- 2-3 tbsp. feta, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil and balsamic vinegar, each (for dressing)
- optionally: basil, parsley, or other fresh herbs
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade. In a container combine the marinade with the shrimp to coat well. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Drain the shrimp from the excessive marinade and cook over high medium heat for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients (except the spinach/ arugula and feta) for the salad with the olive oil and balsamic and chill. You have two options: chill the entire salad or chill the salad without shrimp and serve them warm. Don’t add the spinach
- When serving, stir in the arugula and feta.