Roasted Chicken with Bok Choy with sautéed onions and light yogurt sauce is a simple, healthy, and delicious dish. Serve it with some toasted bread to dip into the sauce.
Roasted Chicken with Bok Choy
Hi everyone. It’s Wednesday, and you know how do I call Wednesdays? Little Fridays. It’s the middle of the week, and we are halfway to Friday. Exciting, isn’t it?
Certainly, we need to celebrate such a delightful day with something seriously delicious. Well, I know, many of you might not see the recipe until tomorrow, but I hope this Roasted Chicken with Bok Choy makes you hungry in the morning.
Indeed, I made this Roasted Chicken with Bok Choy twice. First time I made it for our Valentine’s dinner as a delicious but not too heavy meal. However, I used a lot of coconut milk (If I am not mistaken, that was the full-fat one), so the dish turned out a bit too heavy for our stomachs). But I liked the idea of sharing this delish skillet with you, so I slightly adjusted the initial idea, and here we go. Please don’t thank you me; I know I am awesome :)
As I said, I substitute coconut milk for some plain yogurt. Any kind (Greek, Balkan, or other cheaper version will work). You can take some sour cream instead; however, this won’t be as healthy as with yogurt. I also reduced the amount of dairy and added some water to make the sauce not so thick and rich.
Combined with sautéed onions and garlic, smoked paprika, mustard, and herbs, this Roasted Chicken with Bok Choy is a simple yet hearty and aromatic dish.
You also can also take skinless chicken thighs or skinless chicken breasts to make this even healthier. Either way, you will get a good deal.
- 4 chicken thighs, skins off (optional), washed and dried
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced (1 cup sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- about 1/2 water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. herbs de provence
- 1 tbsp. grained mustard
- 6 mini bok choy, cut in half
- In a pan, heat the oil over high medium heat. Place the chicken and cook about 2-3 minutes from each side until lightly golden. Reduce heat to low medium, cover, and cook about 7-10 minutes more, until almost ready. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan cook onions and garlic (the pan shouldn't be too dry, but you can add a bit oil if necessary) about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt, salt, pepper, paprika, mustard, and herbs.
- Return the chicken. Add the bok choy and about 1/2 cup of water (The sauce won't cover all the bok choy but try submerging it).
- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until the bok choy is cooked but still crispy.