This vibrant, creamy, and delicious Red Velvet Dessert Risotto with sweet cream cheese drizzle will be the perfect dessert for Valentine’s day.
Hi, my friends. I hope you’re doing well. Do you feel Valentine’s vibes? If not – you should stop by any store, and you will be intoxicated with all this sweetness and pinkness :) Or better just try this luscious Red Velvet Dessert Risotto!
Also, I’ve learned a new word. A franken-dessert. Have you heard of this? Nope, they don’t look like Frankenstein. They’re a bit cuter. Basically, a franken-dessert is a combination of two famous desserts. Think of a cronut which is a combo of a croissant and donut. Or take a cruffin (The system is suggesting to change a “cruffin” to a “coffin”) which is a hybrid of a croissant and a muffin. There’s even a wonut (Never heard!) which is a marriage of a donut and a waffle. Sounds delicious.
I believe the combination of a cheesecake and brownies might be considered a light version of a franken-dessert. Please, don’t confuse a franken-dessert with “frankenfood” which is genetically modified foods.
Have you ever made a franken-dessert (or maybe something savory)? I’ve never made a cruffun or a cronut. However, you know my love for combining some things like sweet and savory. I know these twists aren’t exactly the franken-desserts, but I think I am moving in this direction.
Red Velvet Dessert Risotto
I think this luscious Red Velvet Dessert Risotto might belong to this category as well. Look, it’s a risotto and red velvet cake on one plate! To make this dish inspired me…I inspired myself. Sorry for being such a humble person :) Indeed, I am not joking. Last year I shared some Valentine’s ideas such as Red Velvet Crepe Cake and Roasted Beetroot Goat Cheese Risotto. When I was brainstorming what themed dish should I make this year, I thought that would be great to make red velvet and risotto once again. And voila! Here we go again.
You’ve been asked me before how would I recommend serving a dessert kind of risotto. While I had it warm the previous times, I’ve found the best solution. Serve it cold! Having this Red Velvet Dessert Risotto at room temperature or better even chilled, is so delicious. If you like rice pudding, you will like this risotto as well. And this cream cheese drizzle!
Anyways, served warm or cold, this Red Velvet Dessert Risotto is a lovely dessert for any occasion and particularly, for a romantic one.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 2/3 cup risotto rice (like carnaroli)
- one can (400 ml) of unsweetened evaporated milk
- about 1 and 1/4 cup or a bit more of hot water
- 2-3 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- red coloring as desired
- 5 tbsp 10% cream
- 5 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 5 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium pan melt one tablespoon of butter, add the rice, and toss for about 2 minutes, over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of evaporated milk and 1/4 cup hot water and cook about 5 minutes, stirring, or until almost all liquid has been absorbed.
- After that, start adding the remaining evaporated milk in 2-3 sets letting it absorb before adding more (In a classic risotto recipes you should add only hot liquid not to stop the cooking process so adding the cold milk will add a few minutes more to the cooking process).
- When you run out of the milk, start adding the hot water waiting until the previous portion has been absorbed.
- When your risotto is about to be ready (around 20 minutes of cooking), stir in the cacao powder, vanilla, sweetened condensed milk, and food coloring until the desired color. Keep cooking, adding more hot water if necessary, stirring, until ready. Normally, classic risotto is ready in about 22 minutes; however this risotto took about 27 minutes.
- When it's ready, add the second tablespoon of butter, and let it stand for a few minutes then vigorously fluff with a fork for a few seconds.
- To make the drizzle, place the cream and condensed milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the cream cheese and cook, whisking, until the cheese has incorporated, for about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
- Serve the risotto warm or chilled drizzled with some cream cheese.