This Raspberry Mint Poppy Seed Pasta is another nice way to enjoy a sweet and savory kind of pasta this summer.
If you’ve missed it, I’ve shared another sweet&savory pasta idea this summer. That was this Cherry Mint Pistachio Pasta, and it was scrumptious. Also, I have shared a couple of other (and a little crazy) pasta ideas such as this Chocolate Pasta with Nutella Whiskey Sauce.
If you’ve never incorporated unusual ingredients like berries or fruit in pasta, this Raspberry Mint Poppy Seed Pasta would be a good way to start. I think the combo of raspberries or strawberries does sound like a more traditional one. As the matter of fact, the Italians add strawberries, herbs, and ricotta in their pasta and risotto quite often. Well, perhaps, it’s not that ubiquitous, but it won’t surprise too many people. If you’re interested, there’s a recipe for Strawberry Basil Ricotta Pasta.
There’s something unique about this pasta. Fresh raspberries (I know you would prefer to eat fresh berries without adding them in your recipes, but I strongly recommend to use fresh ones for this dish), loads of fresh basil or mint (or both), a little of tangy lime zest, and some nutty poppy seeds. Plus, some butter and cream to indulge ourselves. Honey is optional but preferable. That’s the basic. I have had this beautiful mix for a few times.
This time I decided to add a humble drizzle of…rum. Why? Because why not!:) It’s like a mojito in a pasta form!
Just kidding, though. Rum is just a fun touch here. It doesn’t alter the flavors although it introduces a subtle spicy aftertaste. After all, a little of rum won’t hurt anyone and anything, am I right?
Anyways, with or without rum, I hope you try this Raspberry Mint Poppy Seed Pasta one day. Or any other sweet&savory pasta ideas I’ve got on the blog. Which one would you prefer?
- 1 - 1,5 cups dry pasta
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, divided
- about 7-10 chocolate mint leaves + more to garnish
- 3 tbsp light (10%) cream
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 1 tbsp. rum
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water as recommended on package, until al dente.
- In a meanwhile, in a small pan melt the butter. Add the honey, poppy seeds, and lime zest and cook for a minute.
- Add the 2/3 raspberries, mint, and cream and cook just for one two minutes. Try and season with some salt or pepper if desired.
- Stir in the rum and let it simmer for 15-20 seconds.
- Drain the cooked pasta (reserve 1-2 spoons of water) and mix it with the sauce. If the pasta is a little dry, add the reserved water.
- Garnish with the remaining raspberries and more mint.
You can substitute the mint for basil.