Mushroom Bacon Walnut Stuffed Pasta with garlic, herbs, smoked paprika, rich cream cheese sauce, and gooey cheese is simple yet hearty and delicious dish.
Hi friends. I hope you’re enjoying your weekend.
I don’t like to brag, but I’ve been a very considerate blogger this week. Why? I have shared some amazingly delicious and comfort foods. First I published this Creamy Smoked Salmon Baked Pasta. And now I’ve brought this nutty Mushroom Bacon Walnut Stuffed Pasta with a luscious cream cheese sauce and lots of cheese. Are you excited?
Also, it’s official – this is the very last recipe from my previous life. Sounds a bit too dramatic? I know! If rephrased, this is the last recipe I brought from Toronto to Halifax. This pasta, like some other recipes, posted this year, appeared in November and December 2017. Yes, I was preparing for the move, so I managed to photograph quite a lot of food. You never know what’s going to be in the new place, and which kind of light situation you would get.
Mushroom Bacon Walnut Stuffed Pasta
Unfortunately, I had to ditch some of the unpublished recipes. Most commonly I was not satisfied with the pictures. It’s fine. However, I am rather upset about those carrot cookies I mentioned before. They were amazing (Imagine the chewy cookies with carrots, spices, coconut, and pecans). I did like the pictures too. What happened then? I couldn’t find the full recipe! I only had a half of ingredients which I transferred from a piece of paper to my phone’s notes. I clearly had that list as I attempted the cookies twice, and I do recall adjusting the measurements. Well, do you know what does this mean? I am going to make these cookies again! I am even going to recreate the atmosphere when taking new pictures.
In a meanwhile, let’s enjoy this Mushroom Bacon Walnut Stuffed Pasta. Mushroom, bacon, and walnuts make an excellent, earthy and nutty combo. And this rich cream cheese sauce? And what about melted mozzarella and cheddar on the top? The only one thing is that I made a bit too much of the sauce (The pasta shells got truly submerged!) On the other hand, I don’t think this little thing may stop you from trying this Mushroom Bacon Walnut Stuffed Pasta.
- about 24-30 large pasta shells (You will likely need about 20 shells, but it's always good to have extra in case they break while cooking)
- about 1,5 pound of mushrooms, cleaned, dried, and nicely chopped (4 cups finely chopped)
- 4-5 bacon strips, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup whole walnuts, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dry herbs de provance
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1,5 cups of milk
- 1 cup cream cheese (I used with herbs and jalapenos)
- 1/3-1/2 cup pasta water (optional)
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated hard mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- Cook the pasta as instructed until almost cooked (few minutes until al dente), reserve about 1/2 cup of water and drain. Rinse the pasta under cold running water to stop cooking.
- In a meanwhile, place the chopped mushroom in a large pan (don't add any oil) and cook over medium heat, stirring, about 7-10 minutes. The mushroom will release the liquid, so having cooked them 7-10 minutes, get rid of this water.
- Add the garlic and bacon and cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts, rosemary, herbs, and seasonings. Cook about 5 minutes.
- In a meanwhile, prepare simple sauce. In the medium saucepan place the milk and cream cheese over medium heat. Cook, whisking, about 5 minutes until the cheese has melted. Season with the nutmeg. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the reserved water (1/3 - to 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to about 175-180 degrees C. Spoon out some of the cream cheese on the bottom of the pan/baking dish.
- Stuff the cooked pasta with some mushroom walnut stuffing and place into the pan.
- Pour over the remaining cream cheese sauce.
- Baked for about 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar and bake for another 10 minutes until melted.