This irresistible creamy dreamy Maple Cinnamon Millet Porridge topped with bananas is a great way to start your day off!
Do you like millet? Or perhaps it’s better to ask you have you tried it? I don’t know if it’s a ubiquitous product in your country, but you should definitely give it a try!
In fact, that was the very first time I tried a creamy, slightly sweetened breakfast version of millet – usually I make savory. To make this Maple Millet Porridge inspired me one awesome food blogger. You’are right – I am talking about myself (Yes that awesome food blogger is a very humble person too).
One day I was making one dish where the key ingredient was a millet stuffing. That stuffing turned out to be so delicious that I hardly managed not to eat it all! I questioned myself why the hell I had never had a bowl of creamy millet porridge for my breakfast? I had wasted so much time!
That’s why the next day I was making this scrumptious porridge for my Saturday breakfast. And I am warning you I won’t stop. I will be eating it for a few weekends in a row (Right now, while writing this post I am dreaming of it). So you should unsubscribe this blog cause I am going to be a Millet Monster. Are you scared? You should be, seriously.
As any other kind of grains, millet is a versatile one. There are lots of options to jazz it up. This time I opted for some maple syrup, cinnamon, and bananas (If I had any nuts at that moment, be sure I would have added them as well. You cannot go wrong with nuts). As for liquid, you can use simple water or regular milk. Personally, I discovered that condensed milk works greatly with millet introducing a very velvety rich texture and great flavor.
So I hope I was able to egg you on making some Maple Cinnamon Millet Porridge this weekend.
Join the league of the Millet Monsters!
Creamy dreamy Maple Cinnamon Millet Porridge served with banana is a great way to start your day off!
- 2/3 cup millet
- 1,5 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened condensed milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/2-1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- cinnamon, to serve
- banana, to serve
- Place the millet in a pot and toast over medium heat until started to golden, for about 2 minutes, tossing.
- Add the water (Be careful!) and bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. If the water has fully absorbed before this time, add a bit more.
- Add the condensed milk and maple syrup and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until the liquid has almost fully absorbed.
- Off heat. Add the butter and cinnamon, cover, and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Fluff the porridge with a fork and serve at once, with banana.