This Mango Avocado Shrimp Salad with the addition of smoked cheddar and a refreshing strawberry dressing is a fancy salad suitable for an entertaining, a date dinner or just for any occasion.
Hello, my friends! Happy
Monday Mid of July! The first summer month has almost finished. Whaaaaat? Can you believe that? I am suggesting not to waste any second and devour all the fruit and vegetables summer can offer. Do you agree? I’ve got a super delicious solution, then – this Mango Avocado Shrimp Salad.
Also, I am going to keep it sweet and short today, just to have more time to eat all those cherries and watermelons. And enjoy some walking, too.
This Mango Avocado Shrimp Salad is the epitome of the summertime; it’s elegant, light, refreshing (But satisfying!), and so delightful. While normally mangoes can be found all year round, I believe they’re at their best exactly this time in North America.
This Mango Avocado Shrimp Salad combines just a few ingredients such as:
- Marinated and sautéed shrimp;
- Succulent mangoes;
- Rich and silky avocadoes;
- Neutral and juicy spinach (Can be substituted for arugula or another kind of salad);
- A delightful and refreshing Strawberry Verbena Dressing (Can be substituted for mint);
- Smoked cheddar
Now, mangoes, avocadoes, and shrimp have a very delicate sublime flavour while smoked cheddar has a very strong profile. Thus, I wanted to elevate it to a more sophisticated level and make a more suitable for such salad rather than just grated or cubed. Lacy crisps? Yes, indeed! Very thin and crispy “chips” turned out to have less overpowering flavour…and they’re just much more fun, right? You can either crumble the cheddar crisps over the salad or arrange broken pieces on top. Of course, you don’t need all the cheddar crisps, so you can either cut the recipe in half or put the leftovers in a container (Don’t cover a lid, though) – it is so good for snacking.
I hope you like this simple yet elegant and delicious recipe and give it a try this summer!
- About 20 medium shrimp, deveined, peeled, and thawed if frozen
- ½ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (1 1 tsp. dried)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. dried chilly flakes
- ½ to 2/3 cup grated smoked cheddar
- Pinch of smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 medium mangoes (Such as Alfredo), peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 cup spinach
- 2/3 fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup red wine (Or fruit wine like strawberry or blueberry; substitute for water)
- About 10 leaves of lemon verbena (substitute mint)
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and combine with the shrimp, in a container. Mix well to coat and leave for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Drain the shrimp from the excessive marinate. Heat a large pan over high heat. Arrange the shrimp (In one layer) and cook for about 2 minutes from each side. Remove and set aside.
- For the cheddar crisps, preheat a clean flat pan (Preferable with a heavy bottom). Drop a little of the grated cheddar (about 1 tbsp.) in a very thin layer, leaving some space between the crisps. Optionally, sprinkle with the smoked paprika on top. Leave for about 1 minute or until the edges are crisp and the bottom is golden. Flip and brown from another side. Set aside and repeat.
- For the dressing, place in a blender the strawberries, wine (or water), verbena, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pulse until smooth. Chill for 15 minutes.
- For the salad, combine the mangoes, avocadoes, spinach, and divide between plates. Arrange shrimp and cheddar crisps. Serve with the dressing.