This Italian Cheese Log is packed with the flavour and texture while the elegant look makes it’s perfect for the holiday season.
Hello, my friends! I am going it extremely short and sweet this time. I really mean that. However, don’t it wrong thinking that’s because I’ve been busy making and eating all the Christmas cookies. I wish. But the truth is I’ve been a little bit sick (Started with an ear infection followed by common cold and migraine) for the last couple of days. Therefore, I am currently focused more on sleeping than the baking part. That’s okay though. I am positive I’ll be absolutely fine by the weekend, and I’ll catch up on all the cookies.
Anyway, this Italian Cheese Log. That’s the real deal. It’s packed with the flavour and texture:
- Cream cheese and smoked cheddar (Regular cheddar would work too);
- Sun-dried tomatoes;
- Pistachios (Although other nuts would work too. Think about pine nuts);
- Fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme
Remember that all these ingredients are pretty salty, so you can try finding those that are low-sodium. Also, plain and neutral crackers (like water crackers) are recommended.
As you see from the photos, the texture is not too smooth; it’s more like crumbly and not so homogeneous. I wanted this result; however, you can easily make it smoother by adding a little bit (about 1/4 cup or so) sour cream or yogurt. Either way, it’s delicious!
I hope you like this Italian Cheese Log and give it a try!
Cheers and see you next week with MORE festive recipes.
- About 2 cups (400 gr.) plain cream cheese, room temperature (*See notes)
- 2 cups grated smoked cheddar
- 150 gr. salami, finely sliced
- 1 and 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained, sliced, and divided
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- a handful of unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped + 1/4 to garnish
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary chopped + more for decoration
- 1 tbsp.fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- about 1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt (optional, see notes)
- In a bowl combine the cream cheese and cheddar (And sour cream if using) until well incorporated.
- Stir in the salami, 1 cup tomatoes, olives, pistachios, herbs, and smoked paprika. You can also add some of the oil from the jar with tomatoes.
- Spray a loaf pan with oil then line with wrap with overhang.
- Transfer the mixture into the pan and press with well.
- Cover with wrap or foil and refrigerate a few hours.
- Garnish the log with the remaining tomatoes, pistachios, and extra rosemary and herbs. You can also drizzle with some of the tomato oil.
* You can use cream cheese with herbs & garlic, just keep in mind it contains more salt.
** The texture of this log is crumbly, not too smooth; for a softer and smoother result, stir in some sour cream with the cheeses.