Green Tea Glazed Cake Donuts – fluffy, soft, and moist donuts with luscious green tea glaze.
This post appeared first on this blog in April 2015. I have updated pictures, while the text remains the same.
I’ve got a great announcement to make!
It’s official – I’ve got a new kick. The era of donuts is over! Well, at least for the time being:)
Who could ever imagine I would cheat on donuts? Ditch out on them after the long-term relationship? This love seemed to be mutual and to the end of our lives…
I feel guilty and pumped at the same time.
I am not going to reveal the more details today though. Stay intrigued. And stay tuned for the following updates.
In a meanwhile, having had this “donut passion” for about last 3 months, I’ve got a lot of lovely recipes to post on here. Believe me, you won’t forget them too soon (if it was a movie, the music theme would be quite sinister for this part).
Today I’ve got these
fabulous incredible awesome delicious (oh, I’ve got to be humble!) Green Tea Glazed Donuts. Although I haven’t worked that much with green tea in cooking, I do love it. And I will be incorporating it often soon! The key thing about using green tea powder is to find out the right balance between sweetness and natural bitterness of tea. Sorry guys but I won’t be able to give the specific recommendations about the proportions of green tea and sugar. That’s totally up to your taste. So, the second key is to sample your glaze until you get the desired taste. Pleasant work, eh?! Personally, I love the distinctive strong taste of green tea.
It perfectly worked with these moist and fluffy bad guy. Green tea glaze is one of the most luscious and sophisticated I’ve tried so far. If needed to choose only one kind of donuts I’ve tried during this insane “donut marathon”, I would probably opt for these sumptuous and handsome guys.
Eh, donuts, donuts….it’s been such a pleasure to have been with you but I’ve got to move on!
I will miss you! And we will definitely meet again, sooner or later!
Moist and delicious cake donuts with the sophisticated and distinctive green tea flavor.
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar*
- 1/4 butter, melted
- 1 cup milk, 1-2% fat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- soften butter or cooking spray, for tins
- Green Tea Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar or a bit more, as needed
- 1-3 teaspoons milk/water
- 2 teaspoons green tea powder or optional
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F (215 degrees C).
- Butter holes of donut tins and set aside (you will need one form for 14 tins or two forms for 6 tins).
- In a large bowl, mix together first four ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer or just a whisk, blend together the melted butter, sugar, oil, vanilla extract, for one minute.
- Add the milk.
- Stir the wet mixture in the dry ingredients and mix just to combine (don't overmix!).
- Spoon butter into donut wells, filling them about 1/4 inch from the rim.
- Bake in the preheated oven 7-8 minutes.
- Let the donuts cool in the tin for a couple of minutes then transfer them to a wire rack and completely cool.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, milk/water and green tea powder until nice, thick and smooth. Add some more powdered sugar to reach the right consistency, if needed.
- Glaze the donuts and let the glaze set.