When you have some leftovers such as a few pieces of salami, a bit of tomato sauce, some mozzarella, and ½ of a sweet pepper, you can definitely make a delicious pizza. Or you can make these Everything Stuffed Roasted Peppers.
I’m kidding, though. You cannot make Everything Stuffed Roasted Peppers having just a half of pepper. That’s against all the culinary rules.
You may ask me: “Indeed, Ben, why the hell wouldn’t you have made a pizza with all these ingredients?”
What a good question! Thanks for asking.
It’s simple. We had the pizza (As the matter of fact, two pizzas) the day before so making another pizza two days in a row didn’t sound just right to us. Well, let’s be more specific: making pizza with the SAME ingredients for two days in a row didn’t sound right to us.
That’s why I decided to make these Everything Stuffed Roasted Peppers.
Everything Stuffed Roasted Peppers
There’s a thing to confess. Sometimes I can waste the good produce/leftovers – not literally waste (However, it might have happened a few times) – just not knowing (Or might not be willing) how to use them and thus making my husband utilize them. Sure, that always gives him a reason to criticize me.
This time was different, though – Andrey was absolutely proud of me for having incorporated everything left after making the pizza. Besides, the peppers turned out seriously delicious. Let’s count the ingredients: German salami, mushrooms, tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, ricotta, onions, and garlic (The last 3 ingredients weren’t used in pizza.) Also, I though those components won’t be enough to stuff 3 large peppers so I cooked some pasta as well.
You cannot disagree that all these fantastic ingredients mixed together sound good. Because they do.
The only one thing I would recommend if you decide to make these Everything Stuffed Roasted Peppers is to use a bit more spices like hot pepper. I cannot say the peppers turned out bland, but ricotta and mozzarella smooth out the flavors so a little hit would be great.
And the most awesome news is if you don’t like some of the listed ingredients, you can freely substitute them. Why not? These are the Everything Stuffed Roasted Peppers!
- 3 large sweet peppers, cut in half and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked small-shaped pasta
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 mediun (few small) mozzarella balls, torn
- 5-7 pieces salami, sliced
- 7-8 cherry tomatoes, cut in 2-3 parts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees F). Place the peppers on a tray covered with slightly greased foil or parchment and roast them for about 15 minutes. If any liquid has accumulated while roasting, discard.
- In a meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Combine all the ingredients except the mozzarella in a bowl.
- Stuff the roasted peppers with the mixture and top each with some mozzarella. Return in the oven and roast for another 15 minutes or a bit longer, until the mozzarella is slightly golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let the peppers rest 5-10 minutes before serving.