These Dulce de Leche Coconut Cake Donuts will satisfy your cravings for something ultimately unhealthy!
This post originally appeared in May 2016. I have updated the pictures while the text remains the same.
A few weeks back I was craving for some donuts. Period. No need to explain more. I don’t want to sound apologetic. I am not. Everyone deserves to crave for some donuts once in a while, right?
Also, I was craving for
some a can a spoon of dulce de leche. That’s a wrong statement, though. I crave for dulce de leche almost every other day – I just do not allow thinking about that.
So, two cravings met each other. Donuts with dulce de leche to be. There’s one thing. Being a food blogger, I try to make and shoot food which could be interesting to post on this blog. I know, you may say that donuts (with dulce) could never be a bad thing to share. However, last year I already published the recipe for Dulce de Leche Donuts.
I needed something else. Something outstanding. Or at least different from what I’ve got on here.
So I was thinking. And thinking…and then thinking over. And over and over again. Then, 27 seconds later, I was tired of thinking and decided to keep it simple. Yes, basically I gave up.
On the other hand, you don’t need anything to with dulce de leche.
“Well, some coconut might be not a bad idea,” I said to myself a few minutes later. Dulce de leche and toasted coconut meant to be together. Which is why famous alfajores are one of my favorite cookies. You simply cannot go wrong with this combo. By the way, what a good idea – I haven’t made alfajores for years.
So as you can imagine, these Dulce de Leche Coconut Cake Donuts were a delicious treat! Fluffy and soft cake donuts, luscious dulce de leche, and toasted coconut make the perfect combo to satisfy any cravings.
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons golden sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted + some additional buter (or cocing oil spray) to grease
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup dulce de leche
- 1/3 cup coconut, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F (215 degrees C).
- Butter holes of donut tins and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together first five ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer or just a whisk, blend together the melted butter, sugar, oil, vanilla extract, for one minute. Add the milk. Stir the wet mixture in the dry ingredients and mix just to combine (don't overmix!).
- Spoon butter into donut wells, filling them about 1/4 inch from the rim. Bake in the preheated oven 7-8 minutes.
- Let the donuts cool in the tin for a couple of minutes then transfer them to a wire rack and completely cool.
- Spread the dulce de leche over the donuts and sprinkle with the coconut.