This Corn Gnocchi Bacon Salad loaded with vegetables is a perfect transition from summer to autumn recipes.
Corn Gnocchi Bacon Salad
Hello, my friends. Have you had a chance to check my fairy-telling skills, and most importantly, delicious Sun-Dried Tomato Sausage Gnocchi? I’ve got another killer gnocchi recipe. Can you please close your eyes for a few seconds and imagine charred corn and sweet pepper, pungent&sweet red onions, bacon, and lots of herbs combined with pan-fried gnocchi? I had this treat almost a month ago, and I still remember the way it smells and tastes. Phenomenally good.
Certainly, we cannot consider this Corn Gnocchi Bacon Salad a healthy dish unless you can limit yourself to having a 1/2 cup or so per serving. But trust me: you won’t be able. There’s a dirty little secret I want to share with you. Since Andrey doesn’t like gnocchi, I ate this deliciousness all by myself. But I had a huge gap between my meals…like 30 minutes. Yes, I pigged-out, and I am not embarrassed about it. Indeed, gnocchi is that kind of food that brings an enormous level of satisfaction for my stomach and mind; that’s one of my favourite comfort foods. And although I did enjoy it in summer, this dish will 100% perfect for a chilly autumn night.
On the other hand, I tried to make this recipe as healthy as possible. For instance, I opted for smoked back bacon (aka Canadian bacon). This is a lean kind of bacon which yields between 3.5 and 7 grams of fat per 100 gr., and which delivers exceptional flavor. Cannot find back bacon? Grab some turkey or chicken bacon instead. I even used coconut oil instead of butter which is one of my favorite kinds of fat for cooking. Besides, it is loaded with vegetables (corns, peppers, and onions). After all, this recipe isn’t that unhealthy as I presented, right?
And the flavor? It is here too.
Moral? You should make this Corn Gnocchi Bacon Salad, my friends. You can still find some great fresh corn right now, but you can obviously make it with some frozen corn all year around.
Your family (And your stomach) will thank you!
- 1,5 cups gnocchi (the perfect choice will be skillet gnocchi)
- 2 corn ears
- 1 sweet pepper (use the mix of green and red or other colorful peppers), seeded and sliced
- 1 small or 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 200 gr. back bacon (aka Canadian bacon) or other low-fat bacon, cut in strips
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, optionally (depending on saltiness of the bacon)
- jalapeno, for garnish, to taste
- 2 tbsp.feta, crumbled
- Shuck, clean, and rinse corn well. Using a knife, cut the corn kernels off the cobs.
- Place the corn kernels and peppers into a pan (Don't add fat at this moment yet) and cook over medium / low high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred, 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add and melt the coconut oil. Stir in the onion, thyme (reserve some for garnishing), smoked paprika, and black pepper. Cook 5 minutes. Remove the veggies from the pan and set aside.
- Slightly clean the pan using paper towel. Place the bacon and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the gnocchi and cook for a couple of minutes, tossing, or until golden brown.
- Return the veggies and mix. Try and season with some salt if needed. Cook for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat. Let it cool a bit.
- Stir in the spinach and more fresh thyme and garnish with the feta, basil and jalapeno, when serving.