This Corn Blueberry Sausage Salad with crunchy toasted almonds and pungent blue cheese is a delightful way to celebrate the end of August and Labour Day which is around the corner.
Corn Blueberry Sausage Salad
Hi, everyone! Can you believe August is almost over? Can you indeed believe this summer is almost over too? I know – such trivial questions every blogger is apparently asking. Disregard. Let’s better talk this scrumptious Corn Blueberry Sausage Salad.
I knew the combination of sweet corn and blueberries is common in some parts of America. However, I was a little bit skeptical to try it out because it sounded peculiar to me. If you have known this blog for a while, you could react to this statement like this: “What? Is the combo of blueberries and corn sound strange to you, Ben? What about this Smoked Salmon Apricot Salad then? Or this Grape Blue Cheese Brie Naan Pizza? What about this Blackberry Lavender Pasta? Or did you consider that Chocolate Pasta with Nutella Whiskey Sauce as a very ubiquitous combo by any chance?”
I see your point. Sometimes our gustatory cells (aka taste buds) want to convince that you will not like the certain combination before even trying it. I was certainly more concerned about Andrey, but he was positive when I described the salad. I decided to incorporate some sausage as having them would have helped Andrey to approve it. I also omitted the blue cheese for Andrey’s version, but I added it in my salad, and it was delicious! As for Andrey, he did love this salad too. Well, he noted that he would not have minded if I had added more sausage :)
Although we don’t have a grill, this year I found a good way of cooking corns in a pan. Indeed, you don’t even need to cook it as freshly picked corn is juicy, tender, and delicious itself.
Please enjoy this Corn Blueberry Sausage Salad. And I will have more corn ideas in September.
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 large sausages (100 gr. each), low in fat, sliced in few parts
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or feta
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red onion (1/4 cup sliced)
- jalapeno, optionally
- 2-3 ears fresh corns (about 1 cup kernels)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- a pinch of garlic powder, black pepper, and smoked paprika each
- a good pinch of herbs de Provence
- Shuck, clean, and rinse corn well. Place the corn in a dry pan (no oil yet) over high medium heat and cook about 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally until some kernels are charred.
- Decrease heat to medium. Accurately add the butter and oil and the seasonings. Cook, turning, for another 5 minutes. Off heat and slightly cool until easy to handle then using a knife cut corn from the cobs. Discard cobs.
- In a meanwhile, in a separate pan cook the sausage until crispy outside (I didn't use any of oil, but you can drizzle if needed).
- In a bowl combine the spinach, corn, onions, and blueberries. Divide between plates and top with the sausage, almonds, and blue cheese (feta).