This delicious hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup will warm you up on these chilly spring days!
Indeed, even though I made this soup few weeks back, I would like to have a large bowl right now. Some of you are having lovely warm sunny days while here, in Ontario, winter has come back once again. Right now I am writing this post while it’s heavily snowing outside. Ughh!
There’s a fact. I was eating this Chicken Vegetable Soup for 3 weeks in a row.
Probably, I should clarify. I didn’t mean I was eating one pot of soup for 3 weeks. That’s too much. I am that guy who prefers to eat fresh things. Well, I used to reject most of the things the next day after they were cooked. Now I understand that a lot of things are much better the next day. The only one thing I unlikely will leave for the next day is a salad. Because there’s nothing worse than green leaves which have started to wilt.
But soup, especially a chicken one, is another story. It gets only better within a few days. Please note it gets better being kept in the fridge. If you leave it at room temperature for a while, there’s a risk it won’t stay that delicious for a long:)
Anyways, one Sunday I made a large pot of this Chicken Vegetable Soup for a whole week. It turned out very delicious and hearty (No wonder!). However, I didn’t take any pictures since the broth wasn’t really clear. That’s why I repeated the soup the next Sunday making sure the broth was good enough. As a result, I was enjoying with a bowl of this hearty soup every day on those gloomy days. It wasn’t enough. I decided to make a version of the soup on the third Sunday in a row. It was basically the same, but I added some lemon juice and orzo. I didn’t manage to take any pictures since that day I got sick.
There’s nothing complicated in this Chicken Vegetable Soup. The broth is very simple – I am not a fan of cooking broth for hours. Besides, I don’t like the intense broth either. This light and not overpowering taste of chicken and veggies is the best for me.
Talking about the veggies, I picked the classic celery, carrots, and jalapeno for some heat. I also flavored the soup with some cilantro. Fell free to add some carbs such as potatoes, small shaped pasta such as orzo, rice, or even quinoa.
It really is a hearty dish to warm you up on a cold gloomy day!
Are you felling like eating one thing over and over again now? What is that?
Hearty, healthy, and delicious Chicken Vegetable Soup with celery, carrots, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- 7-8 cups cold water
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut in medium pieces
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 little bunch cilantro
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorn
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups mini carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery stalk
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- 2-3 frozen corn (unfrozen)
- salt, to taste
- cilantro and jalapeno, to serve
- In a large pot place the water, chicken, 1 celery stalk, cilantro, pink pepper, fennel seeds, and bay leaves. Bring to a little boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
- Strain the broth discarding all the ingredients except the chicken.
- Return the broth and chicken to the pot and bring to a boiling. Season with the salt. Add the celery and a minute later the carrots with the jalapeno and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until the veggies are still crisp but started to slightly soften.
- Add the corn and cook for about 3 minutes, just to warm the corn through.
- Serve with the cilantro and jalapeno.