This simple yet delicious Chicken Apple Pecan Salad with caramelized apples, toasted pecans, and salty feta proves that a salad shouldn’t be boring!
Chicken Apple Pecan Salad
This recipe was originally posted in October 2015. I have updated the pictures while the text and recipe remain unchanged.
I feel totally embarrassed, my friends.
I’ve let you down. Completely.
I haven’t posted any lavender recipes for almost 2 weeks. 4 recipes in a row.
2 long, long weeks.
And unfortunately, nothing is going to be different today.
I know, you’ve been asking the questions. You’ve been concerned. Some of you might have pulled lavender from your pantries.
But don’t you worry, guys! It’s just being a special period in my blogging life right now. It’s called an Apple fewer. Combined with the symptoms of a Pumpkin fewer, it’s been hard. Indeed, I’ve got 2 lavender recipes to go, but they are waiting the right time to be published.
What am I saying? The right time for lavender? There’s always the right time for lavender, isn’t it folks? You see, being delusional is one of those severe symptoms.
Plus, I’ve got a good excuse. I’ve been thinking (Yup, sometimes this happens) the ways to combine
pumpkins with lavender apples and lavender. I already shared with these Lavender Honey Baked Apples, and they turned out quite delicious!
But there are no any of those fancy lavender things today. Simple, delicious, and hearty Chicken Apple Pecan Salad.
You cannot go wrong with a chicken salad, so this time I chose for some pan seared chicken. Plus, I grabbed some beautiful local apples (I personally picked them on a farm) and pecans and caramelized them a bit. And some robust arugula and salty feta to balance out the sweet and tart flavors.
Almost because I’m too humble to say more. But you can:)
Thus this Chicken Apple Pecan Salad is a perfect fall lunch or dinner for you. Packed with proteins and flavors, that’s a quintessence of this fall.
But what about you, guys? What’s your kind of fall food quintessence? Do you have any ideas on incorporating apples and lavender?
Chicken Apple Pecan Salad with arugula and feta. Slightly tossed in butter and maple syrup, the apples and pecans make a great addition to this hearty fall meal!
- 2 small / 1 large chicken breasts
- salt, pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- some fresh lemon thyme
- 1-2 tart/semitart apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon salted (or unsalted) butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch of salt (optional)
- cooked chicken, sliced
- apple pecan topping
- a generous handful of arugula
- 1/3 cup feta, crumbled
- Slightly hammer the chicken breast (s). Season them with the thyme, salt and pepper. In a frying pan melt the butter over medium heat until it's foaming. Place the chicken in the center of the pan. Don't move the pan and slightly press the breast with a spatula, for one minute. Now you should carefully spoon out the foaming butter and pour it over the top of the breast. Keep on doing this regularly (every 10-15 seconds) which prevents your chicken breast from drying out and helps to cook through since we cook it only on one side.
- Because being hammered, the breast should be ready in about 7 minutes - double check and cook longer if necessary. Off heat, cover, and let stand for another minute. Slightly cool (remove the excessive fats with paper if desired) and slice as desired.
- In a meanwhile, in another pan melt another tablespoon of the butter. Add the pecans and cook for a minute, tossing. Throw the apples and sautee for 1 minute. Add the maple syrup and salt (if using) and cook for another 1 minute. Off heat.
- Combine the chicken, arugula, and feta. Top with the caramelized apples and pecans using some "syrup" as a dressing. If you don't like this maple-butter dressing, you could add a drizzle of white (pear, fig, etc) vinegar.