This Cherry Mint Pistachio Pasta is a crazy (crazy delicious) way to celebrate this cherry season.
Summer & Pasta
Every summer I do love pasta. Well, this is a wrong statement. I do love pasta (as well as ice cream and salads) all year round.
However, a summer kind of pasta is something different. Fresh seasonal ingredients, plenty of herbs straight from your garden/pot, and light sauces.
Indeed, summer pasta doesn’t need to be paired with heavy and rich sauces. Fresh herbs like basil, parsley or thyme, lemon, walnuts, garlic, tomatoes, olive oil are pretty much the ingredients that would make a few awesome summer pasta ideas.
If you’re brave enough to have something whimsical, well, you’ve found the right place:)
Over the past few years, I’ve been making a sweet&savory kind of pasta at least once or twice during the summer. Don’t be scared though. When I’m referring to “sweet&savory”, I’m not talking about pasta as a dessert (Although it can be too). While seasonal fruit and berries give some subtle sweetness, herbs, seasonings, and cheese balance it out. As the result, you’ll get something that is hard to assign to a specific category. I call it summery pasta.
Cherry Mint Pistachio Pasta
Let me share some recipes from this blog, my friends.
Perhaps, the most whimsical recipe so far has been Chocolate Pasta with Nutella Whiskey Sauce which is a main dish and dessert at the same time. Or, I should say, on the same plate.
Today I’ve brought this Cherry Mint Pistachio Pasta, and I hope you like this idea. And surprise, surprise – it has some alcohol as well. I see your excitement already! This time I incorporated some brandy (I’m a boring guy with a lack of imagination. Cherries mean brandy to me.)
Although this Cherry Mint Pistachio Pasta isn’t that crazy like few other ideas, it is fresh, luscious and delicious. No wonder. Pasta, lightly tart and sweet cherry sauce, a good hint of chocolate mint, and a lovely crunch of salted pistachios. Mmmm…sounds good? Also, I highly recommend topping this pasta with a generous dollop of ricotta.
In case you’ve never tried a sweet&savory kind of pasta yet (but would like to try), this Cherry Mint Pistachio Pasta might be the perfect one to start with.
- 2/3 - 1 cup small size pasta
- 1 cup cherries, pitted (whole or halved)
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- about 10 leaves of chocolate (or other) mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp brandy
- pistachios, to serve
- ricotta, to serve
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water as instructed, until al dente. Drain.
- In a meanwhile, in a small pan melt the butter. Add the mint and saute just for a minute to release the flavor.
- Add the cherries and honey and saute for 2-3 minutes (don't overcook - the cherries shouldn't be mushy). When the cherries are almost ready, splash the brandy and let the alcohol to evaporate for 15 seconds.
- Mix the pasta with the sauce and let stand for a minute.
- Serve sprinkled with the pistachios and topped with ricotta.