These soft flaky Cheddar Cranberry Walnut Biscuits are highly scrumptious savory treats.
Cheddar Cranberry Walnut Biscuits
This post was originally published in December 2016. I have taken and uploaded new photos while the text and the recipe remain unchanged.
How are you, my friends? Are you having enough (or too many) cookies these days? Have you baked some good stuff for Santa? If you don’t get a sweet tooth, these Cheddar Cranberry Walnut Biscuits are totally for you. If you indeed like sweets, please don’t reject these cookies. They are irresistibly delicious.
But let me keep it short today. I know you don’t get much time these days, do you? Let’s be honest here. I don’t get either. Besides all other things to do, Andrey is back home on his Christmas holidays, so I’m currently not into writing long texts.
But let’s get it straight here. Christmas is around the corner, and we all need
some a lot of cookies. So I’m kind of hoping you’re still looking for some good stuff. And here we go. These Cheddar Cranberry Walnut Biscuits are really good stuff. Trust me.
I mean, how won’t be cheese cookies loaded with dried cranberries and nuts delicious?
Recently I realized that the best dessert kind of cookies is…the cheese ones to me! I’ve been experiencing with flavors quite often recently. I hope one day I’ll share with some nice ideas (So far I have been rather eating than shooting them). But in a nutshell, there are plenty of options such as all kinds of nuts (pine nuts work great), dried fruit and berries, herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, and many other good things.
And although you might be busy these days, take a little of your time and make these Cheddar Cranberry Walnut Biscuits. You won’t be disappointed. And neither will be Santa.
- 1 cup grated Cheddar (Smoked cheddar will be great)
- 1 cup soften butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 teaspoon baking powder (optional, see notes)
- a good pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- a good pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup dried cranberries and roughly chopped walnuts, each
- 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary (or to taste)
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, butter, and egg. Beat until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour (add 1 cup reserving the remaining), baking powder, powdered sugar, salt, and spices. Mix until all ingredients incorporated adding more flour if necessary.
- Stir in the walnuts, cranberries, and rosemary. You will get soft dough. Cover the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 40-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Cover baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll the dough out (about 0,7-1 cm) and cut cookies with a cookie cutter. Place the cookies onto the sheets and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let completely cool.
* If you add the baking powder, you will have your cookies soft and flaky. If you don't use baking powder, the cookies will be still soft, but flatter and crispier ob edges. **Feel free to add more heat like cayenne pepper