This Chanterelle Baked Gnocchi with onions, crispy smoky pancetta, smoked cheddar, and thyme is a delicious dish to celebrate the end of summer and the beginning of fall!
Hello, everyone! Happy (almost) autumn! How have you been doing?
This has been a hectic week for me, that’s it’s going to be a short post. I need this Sunday to rest up.
Do you like chanterelles? These lovely wild mushrooms with bright colour and nutty and sweet flavour are beautiful! They’re super (and unreasonably) expensive, too. That’s why you need to treat them well! The best way is to let chanterelles shine without making a dish too complicated. Basically, they need some butter, garlic, and herbs (thyme and sage are the best!) to be the star of the dinner. But you know me, right?
This Chanterelle Baked Gnocchi turned out scrumptious, to my liking. This dish combines all the smoky flavours which accentuate the natural sweetness end earthiness of the mushrooms. Just imagine this: sauteed chanterelles, cream cheese, smoked cheddar, pancetta, garlic, herbs combined with crispy potato gnocchi?! Well. chanterelles might not be the main star in this recipe, but they got a fantastic company, that’s for sure.
And surely, you’re going to see some more chanterelle recipes, soon!
Would you like to try these Chanterelle Baked Gnocchi ?
- 1 small sweet onion (1/2 cup sliced)
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 cup fresh chanterellers
- 50-70 gr. pancetta, cubed
- 3 cups uncooked gnocchi
- 1tsp. fresh thyme
- pepper, smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup light (10%) cream
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated smoked cheese, divided
- Clean the chanterelles by removing the dried leaves and dirt. Don’t soak them in water. Chop roughly the large or broken mushrooms leaving small and medium whole.
- Place them onto a dry pan and cook them over medium heat. They will release the moisture which improves the flavour and texture.
- Once the released moisture has evaporated and the mushrooms started to brown (Should take between 5 and 7 minutes), add the butter, onions, and garlic and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the pancetta and brown for 3 minutes.
- Add the spices and thyme along with the uncooked gnocchi. Cook, tossing, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream and cream cheese and let it melt.
- Off heat and stir in 1/3 of the cheddar.
- Transfer the mixture into a baking dish / skillet and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.