This Caramelized Carrot Parsnip Salad with ham, feta, hazelnuts, rosemary, and smoked paprika is festive, filling yet healthy, and delicious recipe perfect for this time of the year!
Hello, everyone and happy weekend (If you read this post on weekend). “I am going to keep it short and simple” – how often do I repeat it? Well, I guess almost every other recipe for the last month! Strange times, strange :) But I mean it this time. Super sweet and short.
But first, I wanted to share the shocking news. Three sweet recipes. I have shared three sweet recipes in a row. What? I think this only happens around Christmas time. Blame the current situation for this. Clearly, I needed to stop this slippery slope, at least for once. No worries – next week I am posting another sweet recipe and again with dulce de leche. That’s why I am sharing this Caramelized Carrot Parsnip Salad with you today. It features:
- Obviously, carrots and parsnips that are caramelized in the mixture of oil, butter, and honey, along with rosemary, chilly flakes, and paprika. Yum! I used a potato peeler to make ribbons – a simple and available tool. Little drawback -too many small leftovers, but you can snack on them. So, technically, no leftovers;
- Ham – lean recommended;
All these ingredients are perfectly marrying each other. The result – this Caramelized Carrot Parsnip Salad. You should make it!
You see -that was relatively quick today, but I should master my skills :)
Cheers until next week!
- 3-4 medium carrots and parsnips each, peeled
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- a good pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary (1/2 dried)
- 1/8 tsp. chilly flakes
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 cup cooked cubed ham
- 2-3 cups of salads of your choice
- 2-3 tbsp. feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp. hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Using a potato peeler (or even a knife), make thin carrot and parsnip strips. Reserve chunky parts for snacking.
- In a large deep pan (a wok is perfect) combine the butter and oil over high medium heat. Add the veggies and cook 5-7 minutes, till soften and start to browning (edges).
- Reduce heat. Add the rosemary, spices, honey, and let it caramelized, occasionally stirring, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, cook the ham, about 5 minutes, just to heat through. Return the veggies into the pan. Off heat.
- Divide the salad between plates. Arrange the warm veggies and ham, sprinkle with the feta and hazelnuts.