Craving for a satisfying cheesy pizza full of the fall favors? This Brussels Sprouts Smoked Cheddar Pizza might be exactly what you need!
Keep it Short
Let me keep it short today and go straight to the point.
Remember, a few posts back, when I shared the recipe for these lovely Pumpkin Dulce De Leche Mini Layer Cakes, I mentioned I had a delicious pizza for my late breakfast? Yes, I was talking about this Brussels Sprouts Smoked Cheddar Pizza. On a side note, I also made Butternut Squash Pizza which didn’t turn out perfect (It was a little bland) so it’s not going to be posted here until perfected.
But at least this Brussels Sprouts Smoked Cheddar Pizza was delicious! At that point, I had never tried a pizza with brussels sprouts, and I would never though it might be one of my favorite toppings since that.
Indeed, what’s not to like about this? Shredded brussels sprouts and red onions sautéd until soft and slightly caramelized, mixed with aromatic chicken bacon and smoked paprika, and then generously sprinkled with smoked cheddar? Well, tell me it doesn’t sound mouthwatering, kids!
Brussels Sprouts Smoked Cheddar Pizza
There are few things I’d like to mention.
First, you can use real bacon if desired.
Second, keep in mind that the amount of dough would be enough for two large pizzas. So you may like to cut the ingredients in half or make two pizzas…what about butternut squash?
Third, don’t sauté the Brussels sprouts and onions too long. I cooked it for about 8 minutes, but 5 would be more that enough. You don’t need it get caramelized or changed the color, this will make the oven. What we need here is to get the veggies soft and almost translucent.
And lastly, you can add a little of pine nuts which would introduce a lovely crunch and flavor.
As you see, this Brussels Sprouts Smoked Cheddar Pizza is a delightful season pizza which would be great on a chilly autumn day…or your late breakfast…or perhaps, your Thanksgiving lunch/dinner!
- 2 1/4 cup white bread flour + extra for dusting
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1,5 tsp salt
- a little pinch of sugar (optional)
- 3/4 lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil + extra for kneading
- about 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, shredded (3 cups shredded)
- 1 small red onions, finely sliced (1/2 cup sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-5 strips of chicken bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1,5 cups shredded smoked cheddar
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt, yeast, and sugar (if using).
- Mix the water and oil together and pour over the dry ingredients. Gradually combine all the ingredients to make a sticky dough.
- Flour the surface and knead the dough for about 7-10 minutes until it's smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with lightly oiled plastic and let rise for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into two balls. Flatten each ball and roll them out, using a rolling pin, on the dusted surface.
- In a meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon of oil into a pan and saute the Brussels sprouts and onions, few minutes, just until start to soften.
- Add the chicken bacon, seasonings, and thyme and cook another few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), Place one pizza crust on a baking sheet and spread the tomato sauce. Scatter over the topping and cheddar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and started to golden and the crusts are crisp underneath.
- Remove from the oven and let cool a little.