Believe me or not, but we love brussels sprouts!
Why am I telling you that? That’s because the peculiar attitude to this gorgeous veggie. I’ve read and heard numerous of times from the folks who generally loved vegetables with the only one exception – brussels sprouts. Moreover, I’ve known people being tolerant to broccoli and cauliflower (and OMG – to KALE!) but at the same time being almost disgusted with brussels sprouts!
Weird, isn’t it? What’s wrong with that? How did the brussels sprouts get the reputation of the most obnoxious veggie? Am I asking too many questions? I am being curious.
Probably the reason is its rather strong and overpowering taste. You can handle it though by using some ingredients wich perfectly work with this great cabbage.
Anyways, stay tuned and you will see a lot of lovely ideas how to incorporate brussels sprouts in your meals.
I love the combo of pasta and brussels sprouts. I love the combo of brussels sprouts and chicken as well. So why not mingle all these goodies together? I know adding poultry in pasta is not the Italian way; that mostly is an American invention. But when it’s a very scrumptious way, I am totally fine not eating authentically! Honestly, I don’t think adding brussels sprouts in pasta could be considered an authentic Italian way either. But read the previous sentence again, please. Okay, if you are absolutely against chicken in your pasta, just substitute it for bacon or pepperoni. That won’t make the difference but anyways.
So, if you’re looking for a simple 30-minute pasta meal packed with protein, and you don’t mind adding chicken to it, perhaps this pasta is a great option for you! You’ve got to be a brussels sprouts lover too, but I do believe you are. Are you?
- 2 cups pasta
- 1 large chicken breast, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt, to taste (I used smoked salt)
- smoked paprika, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons pine nuts, roasted
- cheese, optional
- In a pan heat one tablespoon olive oil. Add the chicken and cook, occasionally stirring, at heat medium over, for about 7 minutes or until juicy but has started to golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the remaining olive oil in the same pan, add the brussels sprouts and cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring until they began to golden.
- Add some water to the pan (about 1/4 cup), and cook covered for another 5-7 minutes, until tender but still firm or desired consistency.
- Add the butter and lemon juice, return the chicken, and season with the salt, paprika and pepper. Cook for just a few minutes until all the flavours have combined. Stir in the parsley.
- In a meanwhile, in a pot of boiling salted water cook the pasta as recommended on the package, until al dente. Reserve some water (1/2 cup) and drain.
- Combine the pasta with the chicken and brussel sprouts sauce. If the pasta is too thick, splash a few tablespoons the reserved water in the sauce. If desired, add some olive oil as well. Serve, sprinkled with the pine nuts and if desired, some cheese.