This Blueberry Sausage Salad with lightly marinated red onions, pistachios, and goat’s cheese is light yet filling and with a great flavour and texture profile. Perfect for the July 4 celebration!
Hello everyone! I hope you’re doing well. So am I – thanks for asking. Can you believe it’s almost the end of June, and my next post will be already in July? Gosh, this time! Sorry, I cannot waste this precious time complaining (about the time haha), and I’d rather keep it short and sweet this time again and focus on this delicious recipe. Besides, both Canada and the USA are celebrating their holidays this week, and I believe this Blueberry Sausage Salad would be a great idea for this kind of occasion! (Even though huge gatherings and potlucks might not be welcomed in some places yet.)
(On a side note, I haven’t broken my pattern yet. Crostini – Salad – Crostini – Salad – Crostini. Right now I am working on another salad recipe, and I am posting later this week guess what? Correct – another crostini recipe. Most likely, I will do something different next week, for a change. Pasta, flatbread, dip, sorbet, crumble or cold soup – what do you think I should post first?)
Let’s back to this Blueberry Sausage Salad, though. This recipe features the following:
- luscious fresh blueberries;
- lightly marinated red onions (Olive oil, balsamic, honey, ginger);
- salted pistachios;
- pungent goat’s cheese;
- crispy sausages.
Of course, sausages are optional (They’re not, in my book), so you can substitute or simply omit them (Please don’t!) The combination of blueberries and sausage might sound off for someone, but it perfectly works! In fact, I have a similar recipe on the blog – Corn Sausage Blueberry Salad, and I must make it again!
I hope I’ve convinced you to make this Blueberry Sausage Salad, and you’ll enjoy it shortly, for a celebration or any other occasion.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic
- 3-4 tbsp. honey
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- a pinch of dried ginger, salt, and pepper each
- 4-6 small-medium sausages (I have 6 mini)
- 1/2 tsp. oil
- 2-3 cups salad greens
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp. salted pistachios, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. goat’s cheese
- For the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Add the onions and mix. Cover and refrigerate for at about 1 hour, mixing once or twice.
- Place the 1/2 tsp of oil and sausages onto a pan and as per instructions. I browned them about 3 minutes, then added some water (1/4 cup), cover, and let it evaporated, then cooked 2-3 minutes without the lid, to brown more. This way, they don’t turn too oily. Remove, slightly cool, and slice.
- For the salad, combine the greens, blueberries, onions (You might want to use only 1/2 of it reserving remaining for another recipe), and sausages. Arrange on plates and sprinkle with the goat’s cheese and pistachios.