The person developed the recipe for Deviled Eggs must have been a genius!
Who does not love Deviled eggs? We do!
Indeed, they are easy to make, diverse and so delicious. They are just a perfect appetizer for any occasion. Moreover, they are “a must” appetizer for almost any occasion, aren’t they?
I’ve been cooking Deviled Eggs for many years, and so far I’ve tried a number of options.
However, I haven’t tried much more options yet.
One of them were pickled Deviled eggs. I had wanted to dye them for a long time; however I wasn’t sure I would love the taste of marinated Deviled eggs.
Having been scrutinizing a number of recipes, I finally found out a solution – to drastically decrease the amount of vinegar suggested in most of the recipes. Thus, these Deviled eggs have an intense color with a very subtle taste of the marinade.
In fact, we loved the way they tasted. So next time I am going to try another recipes to get more piquant aftertaste.
You can start practicing too.
Why not? It’s Easter around the corner, thus you may need to utilize some eggs.
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium red beets, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- deviled eggs:
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled
- 1 tablespoon sweet mustard (f.e. honey)
- 1 tablespoon greek yogurt (0% fat)*
- black pepper, to taste
- green onions, chopped
- smoked paprika, optionsl
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, lemon juice, bay leaves and salt tp a boil. Add the beets and simmer, covered, until the beets are tender, for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Put the eggs into the beet mixture and leave for at least 2 hours, gently stirring for a few times (you may use a high container to fully cover the eggs in the marinade).
- Remove the eggs from the mixture and dry.
- Cut in half lengthwise and remove the yolks.
- Mix the yolks with the mustard, greek yogurt, and black pepper. You may need to add an additional spoon of the yogurt if the mixture is too thick.
- Stuff the eggs with the mixture.
- Sprinkle with the onions and paprika if desired. Serve at once or chilled.
*You can take mayonnaise instead the yogurt.