That being said that the most delicious food is unhealthy. Partially agree.
Partially, because ice cream and chocolate are the healthy choices, right?
It is said that not all foods have happened to be photogenic. Totally agree.
I’ve heard as well that only mediocre photographers cannot handle all kinds of food. Well, shall we skip this sensitive topic?
I’ve already discussed the food doesn’t sound right and appealing. Now it’s the time to talk honestly about the food which doesn’t look right.
Let’s say eggplant! No offence – I do love this delicious veggie with such a gorgeous colour. I incorporate them in pretty much a lot of things, from pasta to soup. But please name me at least 5 eggplant dishes wich look fancy and sexy?
Or let’s say buckwheat! I do love buckwheat grains, and I could easily live on them. For 2 or 3 days. Delicious and super healthy stuff. But isn’t glamorous at all either.
And this is so sad.
And now could you imagine what happens if you combine two unappealing products? Miracle? Usually not.
What was I thinking while decided to make this Beef Eggplant Buckwheat? Ouch, ground beef is another lucky ingredient! Indeed, I was thinking just about this delicious hearty meal. And since I managed to take some decent pictures somehow, I was super happy.
Yup, it’s still not that fancy and sexy meal you order in the restaurant. I don’t think you would ever find it in a restaurant, haha. Or that would sound different, something like buckwheat risotto.
But it’s earthy and comfort homemade meal. The combo is great – buckwheat, eggplant, and ground beef. Plus, onions, chopped tomatoes, smoked paprika, and fresh basil to jazz it up.
This Beef Eggplant Buckwheat could be your perfect fall meal too.
But enough about food! What about you, friends? Do you have any products that tend to pe unappealing? Would you ever reject a dish, not because its taste but the appearance? Have you ever tried buckwheat aside from buckwheat pancakes?:)
Beef Eggplant Buckwheat with tomatoes, onion, basil, oregano, smoked paprika is the delicious, earthy and hearty meal - perfect for fall!
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, cubed (1 cup of cubed)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or passata
- salt and red chili, to taste
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- a handful of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- In a pot of salted boiling water cook the buckwheat as recommended on the package but one minute less, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add the eggplant and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring, until no more red.
- Decrease heat to low-medium. Incorporate the tomatoes, salt, chili, and smoked paprika. Cook for about 7-10 minutes. If starts to dry out, add a few spoons of water. Basically, 10 minutes are enough to cook the beef through, but you should adjust the time if necessary.
- Add the basil and oregano. Off heat.Add the buckwheat and mix.Cover and let stand for few minutes.