Seasonal fruit combined with honey, a touch of spices, and crunchy pecans make an irresistibly luscious and aromatic dessert. Try this Apple Pear Honey Crumble, and you won’t be disappointed!
Hello, everyone. Monday, eh? I feel you. Also, Monday in our area welcomed us with the rainy gloomy weather. Indeed, the weather forecast is not promising as it’s expected to be raining for most of the week. Grrr. A delicious fix is required!
I believe, this Apple Pear Honey Crumble fits the bill!
First of all, it’s delightful and so flavourful! Imagine the combination of apples, pears, honey, and spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg? It’s so good. The union of all these fruit juices, honey, and spices is cozy and warming; it somehow reminded me of the flavour of baklava’s syrup. I didn’t use it myself, but I just thought that some vanilla bean seeds would be a splendid addition, too!
Next, this is about the texture. While baking, apples stay relatively firm while pears (Of course, it depends on their kind, too), combined with honey, turn into a beautiful sweet concoction! This soft and delicate fruit layer is married with the layer of pecans (Which work beautifully with fruit and honey) and finished with the buttery and crumbly (like shortbread) layer. Can you feel already all these flavours and textures going on? Insanely delicious, in my book!
Of course, you can always opt for either apples or pears if you don’t like to mix them together. Just remember that it’s always good to use a few varieties of apples and pears in baking, for the best results.
So, I hope you make and enjoy this Apple Pear Honey Crumble, and your week will be nice and enjoyable!
- 3 medium apples, cored and cubed
- 2-3 medium pears, cored and cubed
- 4 tbsp. honey
- a little pinch of cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg each
- 1,5 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp. cold butter
- 2/3 cup cake and pastry flour
- 1 to 2 bsp. corn starch
- 3 to tbs. light brown sugar
- a good pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.(340 degrees F). Grease an 8-inch (or slightly bigger) baking dish or skillet with the butter.
- Combine the apples, pears, honey, and spices and transfer to a skillet.
- Sprinkle with the pecans.
- On a cutting board, chop the butter with a knife (or grate it using a grater) then add the sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, and flour and stir with your fingers until the mixture remains crumbs. If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of butter more. If it’s a little too buttery/wet to your taste, add a little more flour.
- Scatter the crumbs over the blueberries and place in the oven for about 35-45 minutes or until lightly golden and crispy (Cover with a layer of foil if the top is browning too fast).
- Remove and let cool a little before serving.